Hmm... the selection of the compiler command is actually deep within
distutils -- matplotlib doesn't address it.  I'm surprised the CXX
environment variable isn't getting picked up.  I use that all the time
to test different compilers.

Did you try:

export CXX=/usr/bin/g++
python setup.py build

If that doesn't work, I'm at a loss -- you could start investigating on
distutils and/or gcc lists.

Cheers,
Mike

Michael Hearne wrote:
> I tried setting CXX=/usr/bin/g++ in my .bashrc, but I still get the
> same error.  Is there some file in the matplotlib distribution that I
> need to edit with this information?
>
> --Mike
>
> Michael Hearne wrote:
>> I can't using gcc, but I can using g++, which is installed.  I guess
>> I'll just set the CXX variable to the path for g++.
>>
>> I don't know enough about gcc to understand why the two aren't linked
>> together...
>>
>> Thanks for the help,
>>
>> Mike
>> Michael Droettboom wrote:

>>> distutils will use the CXX environment variable if it is set.
>>> Though you should be able to compile C++ with gcc as well, if the
>>> C++ backend is installed -- that's why the error message is
>>> surprising to me if you're certain you have g++ installed.  Can you
>>> compile a simple C++ file with gcc directly from the commandline?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mike

>> Apps built with the Adobe(R) Flex(R) framework and Flex Builder(TM) are
>> powering Web 2.0 with engaging, cross-platform capabilities. Quickly and
>> easily build your RIAs with Flex Builder, the Eclipse(TM)based
>> development
>> software that enables intelligent coding and step-through debugging.
>> Download the free 60 day trial. http://p.sf.net/sfu/www-adobe-com

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division