(mpl 0.98.5 OO embedded in wx)

Hi, I'm trying to highlight a picked datapoint, such as is shown in
this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg05580.html

As John suggested there, I get the index of the picked point, and then
plot a marker on that point.  I am using the OO mpl form, so then
I call, to draw this new point on the canvas:

self.canvas.draw()
(self.canvas is a figure.canvas object).

But when I do this it *rescales the plot*, which I don't want.  In this thread:

http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Plotting-single-marker-point-at-zoomed-level-p17511209.html

I found someone mentioning this concern.  He said:

> Thanks for that, the canvas.draw() function redraws the graph.
> I had to add the "autoscale_on=False" to the add_subplot()
> to stop the graph from autoscaling.

I tried this, and it did stop autoscaling--but I do want y autoscaling.
What I want is y autoscaling but not y autoscaling (just setting xlims).
I tried adding either of these lines right before or right after when I plotted
the highlighted point:

self.subplot.set_autoscale_on(False)
self.subplot.autoscale_view(tight=False, scalex=False, scaley=True)

and it didn't help--the plot rescaled, both x and y.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Che