Dear Matplotlib users/developers,

The default behaviour of matplotlib.pyplot is to display large (e.g. 2452298.7554547498 as a small number 0.25545474980026484 + 2.4522985e6) I would like to be able to do one of the following.

- Set the number to be subtracted manually (I know I can just subtract a number from the input array but then matplotib still subtracts another number if it thinks it is still to big to display). - Force matplotlib to display the full number (and display the numbers slanted so they do not overlap). This is my preferred option. I would like to see this as a simple option in pyplot, perhaps as an extra parameter in the xticks/yticks functions (for the y axis the numbers don't need to be slanted).

I tried a manual formatter but I think there should be an easy way to set this in pyplot and I could not figure out how to display the tick numbers slanted.

Kind regards,

Pim Schellart

P.S. In the example number 2452298.7554547498 I also need to subtract 2440000 in order for the plot to render correctly. Otherwise all y values end up at the same x position which is a bug in the latest matplotlib release because it did not happen before.