One of the cool things about Debian-esque distros is you can say:

  apt-get build-dep python-matplotlib

which will install all of the build dependencies for matplotlib.  It
will download a lot, but if bandwidth/disk space is not an issue, it's
nicely automated.

That's one of the first things I do on any new Ubuntu or Debian install
-- and then I check out matplotlib from source or SVN and build with no
problems.

Cheers,
Mike

--