Hi, I've asked this before but still am stuck.  I want to use
mpl's automatic tick locating and date formatting for a zoomable
date plot, OTHER THAN the hour formatting.  The default hour formatting
(when zoomed in on 1 day) is like "05:00:00 UTC", but I'd like to be
of the form something more readable for users, like: "5:00pm 12/03".

If I just use my own custom date formatter, then ALL the zoom levels
will have this format, but I'd only like it for when the plot is zoomed
down to the level of one day.  (So it is a rule of "if zoomed to one day,
use my custom dateformatter, otherwise, use the automatic one").

Why I'd like this:  for looking across weeks or months worth of data,
hours are irrelevant, but for looking at days, hours are relevant, but
users will not think in terms of UTC and they will want to see on the
x axis which day they are looking at.

Does anyone know how this can be done in mpl?  Thank you,
Che