Thanks for elegant trick Matthias.

I have modified onselect function following your suggestions, and it is
working as I wanted it to be. Select a portion and get a zoomed view in a
new figure.

def onselect(eclick, erelease):
    # eclick and erelease are matplotlib events at press and release
    global x_new
    global y_new
    print ' startposition : (%f, %f)' % (eclick.xdata, eclick.ydata)
    print ' endposition   : (%f, %f)' % (erelease.xdata, erelease.ydata)
    print ' used button   : ', eclick.button
    xmin = min(eclick.xdata, erelease.xdata)
    xmax = max(eclick.xdata, erelease.xdata)
    ymin = min(eclick.ydata, erelease.ydata)
    ymax = max(eclick.ydata, erelease.ydata)
    indices = (x >= xmin) & (x <= xmax) & (y >= ymin) & (y <= ymax)
    x_new = x[indices]
    y_new = y[indices]
    fig_new = figure()
    plot(x_new, y_new)
    fig_new.show()

There is still a minute point, that I would like mention again. Even though
I used global style variables I can't still see them when I quit the
program.

What I do is run the file within IPython by run command. In my case the file
is 'rect.py.' and I do run rect.py. When I quit and do whos querry, I can't
see global x_new nor y_new at the resulting lines:

In [13]: whos
Variable            Type           Data/Info
RectangleSelector   classobj       matplotlib.widgets.RectangleSelector
ax                  AxesSubplot    Axes(0.125,0.1;0.775x0.8)
fig                 function       <function figure at 0xa752c6c>
onselect            function       <function onselect at 0xac0ec34>
toggle_selector     function       <function toggle_selector at 0xac0ef0c>
x                   ndarray        100: 100 elems, type `float64`, 800 bytes
y                   ndarray        100: 100 elems, type `float64`, 800 bytes

For the masking, I was planning to use a masking scheme as given below. Let
say I have an array which "a"

In [14]: a = arange(5)

In [15]: a
Out[15]: array([0, 1, 2, 3, 4])

and my secondary array is "b"

In [16]: b = array([2,3])

What I want to do is to mask a with b values and get an array of:

[array([False, False, True, True,  False], dtype=bool)]

That is just an manually created array. I still don't know how to do this
programmatically in Pythonic fashion.

Again thanks for your help.

Gökhan