Hi, I'm trying to plot a series of ~30-50 small plots, each of which contains
3 plots of ~10-20 points (one plot is data, one plot is errorbars, one plot
is a model fit).  I've tried using GtkAgg and Qt4Agg as backends, and both
are extremely slow - they take ~5-10 seconds for the first plot window and
then hang.   Sometimes they'll plot subsequent windows, but sometimes they
will not.

I tried the same series of plot commands using the SVG, PS, and PDF backends
and the whole series of 50 plots takes <~1s.

So, is there any way to speed up my plotting?  I've tried turning
interactive plotting off (ioff()), but that didn't help any.

Thanks,
Adam