Thomas,
As John suggested before, please check if the size differences go away
if you use the same dpi, actually dpi=72.

After some quick look, it seems that the osx backend does not scale
the font size correctly respecting the dpi.
At line 124 of bacend_macosx.py,

            size = prop.get_size_in_points()
            weight = prop.get_weight()
            style = prop.get_style()
            gc.draw_text(x, y, unicode(s), family, size, weight, style, angle)

My quick guess is that replacing

 size => size*self.dpi/72.

in the last call may solve the problem.  Since I don't use the osx
backend, I wonder if others can test this.

-JJ