Hello again,

Thanks for the reply! I did some more testing, but I couldn't get it to work
yet. However, during the testing, I got the idea that I was wrong about what
backends do; it appears they are only used for creating plots, not for
saving them. For example:

> #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> import matplotlib
> matplotlib.use('module://backend_emf')
> from pylab import *
>
> x = [0,1,2,3]
> y = [4,3,2,1]
>
> figure()
> plot(x,y)
> savefig('C:\\test.emf')

This still results in a NotImplemented error. Trying to save as another file
type (savefig(C':\\test.pdf') for example) won't work anymore, either.
Trying to save as PDF, for example, gives this error message:

> ValueError: Format "pdf" is not supported.
> Supported formats: emf.

Basically, what I'd like to have is that, when the user views the plot and
presses the save button, the user can select 'Enhanced Metafile (*.emf)'
from the file type list and save as EMF.

Well, thanks for the help so far. I hope there is a solution for this.
Otherwise I think I'll revert to an older version.

PS. It appears as though the Matplotlib creators have forgotten to remove
EMF from the file type list, as it's still there.
Also, there appears to be a bug when saving files, as the selection from the
file type list is ignored and the file is saved as PNG instead, unless you
manually add another extension in the name.