Brian Granger wrote:
> I too have been bit by related freetype problems...
>
> Is there a way of telling matplotlib which freetype dylib to use on OS
> X?

at run time, no. At built time, then:

> I can probably go and hack on the setup.py/setupext.py

that's how.

The tough part is that AFAICT, there is no way to specify a particular
lib to link to, rather, you specify where to look for libs, so you need
to make sure that it's looking where you want before where you don't want.

Ideally, the MPL community would decide on which is the "canonical"
choice, and that would be how setup.py would be written. But there are
so many options, it's hard to come to consensus.

Personally, I'd like to see the "Kyng Chaos" frameworks be the
"standard" basis for python extension binaries:

http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:frameworks

That's a pretty complete set, and would support MPL, PIL, etc, etc....

But it seems folks prefer to do static linking for distributed binaries,
which is good too, but a bit tricky, as gcc really prefers to
dynamically link -- it's easy to accidentally include a dynamic link
without realizing it.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov