On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Eric Firing <efir...@hawaii.edu> wrote:

> Ryan May wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Thomas Robitaille <
>> thomas.robitai...@gmail.com <mailto:thomas.robitai...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    Thanks! I could not find any documentation relating to this, so I was
>>    wondering whether it would be better to go with a well-documented
>>    function such as text or figtext? What would be best to use?
>>
>>    Thomas
>>
>>    On 28 Apr 2009, at 22:27, Yong-Duk Jin wrote:
>>
>>     > You can use 'LABELPAD' to adjust label position.
>>     > e.g.
>>     >
>>     > import pylab
>>     > hAxes = pylab.axes()
>>     > pylab.xlabel('test')
>>     > hAxes.xaxis.LABELPAD = 0
>>     > pylab.show()
>>     >

>> There's now a documented way to do this in SVN HEAD, by passing labelpad
>> as an argument to the xlabel/ylabel functions.
>>

> Ryan,
>
> Good idea, thanks.
>
> Quick thought, with no investigation on my part: wouldn't it be more
> natural and more useful if text placement pads like this were in font-size
> units, like the "em" and "ex", so that they would scale with the font size?
>  I think that this would make the need to set them manually much less
> common.

Good idea, I agree that might help. I was just going for somewhat of a quick
hack, by just cleaning up access to a pre-existing constant.  Right now it
adds this pad value scaled by dpi/72.0 to an appropriate start in pixels.
Any idea how the math could include a font size?

Ryan

--
Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant