Hmm, Thank you for the guidance John :)

def myformat(x):
     return '%1.2f'%x

axes().fmt_xdata = myformat  works like you said.

How can I join x and y in one function? The following line gives me a syntax
error.

def myformat(x, y):
      return '%1.2f'%x, '%1.2f'%y

axes().(fmt_xdata, fmt_ydata) = myformat

Since the function will return a tuple with two values could they be
assigned directly in the give fashion?

Gökhan