On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 4:36 AM, Ben Coppin <cop...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've added annotations to a graph I am producing using matplotlib. The
> annotations work fine, but when you zoom and pan, the annotations move off
> the edge of the chart and are still visible while they're in the main TK
> window. Does anyone know of a way to make the annotations disappear when
> they move off the edge of the chart?

Currently, there is no support for this. However, a monkey patching
can be a quick solution for now.

from matplotlib.text import Annotation

def draw(self, renderer):
    x, y = self.xy
    x, y = self._get_xy(x, y, self.xycoords)
    if not self.axes.bbox.contains(x, y):
        return

    self.draw_real(renderer)

Annotation.draw_real = Annotation.draw
Annotation.draw = draw

ann = annotate("test", (0.5, 0.5), xytext=(0.6, 0.6),
               arrowprops=dict(arrowstyle="->"))

I think this should be the default behavior (with optionally turned
off). If other developers don't object, i'll try to push this feature
into the svn.

Regards,

-JJ