On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Andrew Straw<straw...@astraw.com> wrote:

> I think this would be a good direction, as well. It would also allow
> disabling the tick mark labels in some axes that share the same axis --
> because the ticks/labels would belong to the spine, which itself
> wouldn't (necessarily) be shared.
>
> I can't promise anything, but this may be a solution to the issues that
> Jae-Joon pointed out w.r.t loglog plots in the spine implementation
> (although I suspect they are more general). I'll take a look at it,
> although I can't say exactly when I'll do so -- hopefully within the
> coming week.

If you go this route, you may want to look at abolishing the Tick
class entirely -- once the ticks are associated with a spine, we will
not need the tick1line, tick2line, label1, label2 instances.  We can
draw all the ticks along a given spine with a single Line2D object
using the marker styles TICKLEFT, TICKRIGHT, TICKUP, and TICKDOWN.  We
really do not need heterogeneous properties along a given spine, so we
are paying a lot to have separate artist instances for each of these
things.  The tick labels will be a little harder since Text is so
complicated, so you might want to punt at the outset and just have the
spine hold a list of Text instances, and down the road we can think
about a more efficient text collection if necessary.

Thinking out loud....  But for nonlinear coordinate systems, where
ticks may be oriented in different directions, the single Line2D idea
may not work so tread cautiously -- perhaps a line collection for the
tick lines....

I am willing to have some breakage in support of this, though we can
try to make the top level axes methods accessor  (e get_xticklabels)
do the intuitive thing.

JDH