All: I am using PDF files generated from matplotlib, and a PDF parser from ReportLab, Inc. Their tool encountered a bug in the PDF specification. The company's email to me follows:

...matplotlib is violating the PDF specification.   There
is a structure near the end of the file shown below, and they have put
an 'n' instead of an 'f' which tells a (suitably pedantic) parser that
the first meaningful content is to be found at byte 0 in the file, not
byte 16 where it really lives.

xref
0 62
0000000000 65535 n   <---- should be 'f'
0000000016 00000 n
0000000065 00000 n
0000000218 00000 n

That row with the '00000000 65535' is present in all PDF files.  I
change the 'n' to an 'f' in a good binary editor and it goes through
fine.

I have also added a special case to our code to correct for this. I
suspect other PDF viewers just skip the first row so were not bitten.

I was able to figure out which module contains the offending code, but not which lines actually print out that data.

I submitted a bug report here:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2805455&group_id=80706&atid=560720

Thanks,

Mike