hello all,

I make my figures in matplotlib and then output them (using savefig) as
.pdf.  I am using Fedora linux.

When I try to edit the font in the figure to Helvetica using Illustrator, I
cannot. i am able to select the fonts, e.g. labels on the axes of the
figure, but when i try to change the font it does not work. apparently the
font information has been lost.

is there a way to make the .pdf file contain the font? or is the solution to
export it as a different file format (if so which)?

p.s. i do not have helvetica on the system that generates the plots so i
cannot set it programmatically... this is why i export it using the default
matplotlib font and then try to edit it in illustrator.

thanks.