On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Alexandar Hansen<viochem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been having fun using hexbin, but I'd like to have consistent bin sizes
> and plot ranges for different sets of data. What I'm finding is that the bin
> sizes are primarily determined by the input data mins and maxes. For
> instance, I'm plotting data with something like:

Instead of a "something like" could you please post a complete example
that we can run so we can replicate the error.  This saves us a lot of
time.  Also, please report any version info, as described at

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq/troubleshooting_faq.html#report-a-problem

For example, the following runs for me using mpl svn:

import numpy as np
import matplotlib.cm as cm
import  matplotlib.pyplot as plt

n = 100000
x = np.random.standard_normal(n)
y = 2.0 + 3.0 * x + 4.0 * np.random.standard_normal(n)
xmin = x.min()
xmax = x.max()
ymin = y.min()
ymax = y.max()

plt.subplots_adjust(hspace=0.5)
plt.subplot(121)
plt.hexbin(x,y, cmap=cm.jet, extent=[xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax])
plt.axis([xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax])
plt.title("Hexagon binning")
cb = plt.colorbar()
cb.set_label('counts')