What distro are you on?  It seems that Tcl/Tk moves the header files
around on a regular basis while not providing a standard way to
determine their location.  It's like a wild goose chase ;)  Perhaps
you're running something new and blazing new territory here ;)

Mike

John Hunter wrote:

>> which creates a tk window on my desktop.
>>
>> So really in the dark what's going on here....
>>

> Very odd.  I suggest opening up setupext.py and finding the function
> "check_for_tk".  There are a series of test which ultimately set the
> "gotit" variable to determine whether you have tk for building.
> Insert a lot of debug print statements throughout the logic of that
> function and find out where it is failing and let us know.
>
> My guess is you will fail in  the "explanation = add_tk_flags(module)"
> part of the code, so you may need to dive into there and repeat the
> exercise to figure out what is failing and why.  If you can repeat the
> steps that the build process is attempting in your python shell, you
> may be able to hone into the point of failure
>
> JDH

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division