Just an thought regarding the whole PyLab concept...

>>> import this
The Zen of Python, by Tim Peters

Beautiful is better than ugly.
Explicit is better than implicit.
[snip]...
If the implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea.
If the implementation is easy to explain, it may be a good idea.
Namespaces are one honking great idea -- let's do more of those!

I have to agree...

When I started to work with Python, I used "from pylab import *" all too
often, eventually I realized I didn't know where things were coming from.
Documentation has recently improved greatly, but still, it's nice to know
what's driving the functions/classes you are working with.

Python is a great tool for <your application here>. The modules matplotlib,
numpy, scipy, etc.. will also undoubtedly find their place in more than just
a 'pylab' environment. Having taught others a little about python, I can say
the use of "from pylab import *" definitely resulted in confusion down the
road...

For the Original Poster, I would offer this advice. Use Ipython with your
own profile. Make sure you maintain namespaces, such that you call:
import numpy as np
import matplotlib as mpl
import scipy as sp
etc...

See here for creating profiles:
http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/html/config/customization.html

Using the namespaces results in significantly more clarity at the cost of a
few extra keystrokes. (People will have opinions on this)

Then, once working in Ipython... I always keep (at least) these pages handy:
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/index.html
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/index.html
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/api/index.html

Good luck!