hi all,

thank you for your replies. my original message wasn't detailed
enough. what i am looking for is a hexbin plot, where points are
binned into hexagons and then hexagons are plotted in size
proportional to the points in the bin. i think the links provided are
very relevant for this,

but one thing i cannot information on is: how can i make an automatic
legend for such plots, where hex bins of varying sizes are shown to
tell the viewer how many points fall into each bin size?

to make this clear, i am looking for something like this:

http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/gallery/fig/fig12.png

where instead of bubbles, we have hexbins, and the legend on the right
gives a mapping from differently sized hex bins to the number of
points in that hexbin.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.