Whether or not you can do multiple show()s depends on which backend you use.
For example, the Mac OS X native backend has no problems with the multiple
show()s in your example. Which backend were you using? While matplotlib does
not support multiple show()s in general, there may be a simple solution to get
that working for the backend you are using.

--Michiel.