On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Thomas
Robitaille<thomas.robitai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in controlling how the cursor position appears at the bottom
> of interactive windows.
>
> I noticed that by default, it is the Formatter that gets called. However, in
> my case, the displayed coordinates each depend on both the x and y pixel
> value, and therefore I need to somehow override the Formatter.

I doubt if overriding formatter works. Formatter basically does not
know about the other coordinate.

I think the easiest solution is to override the Axes.format_coord. For example,

  ax = gca()
  ax.format_coord = lambda x,y : "x=%g y=%g" % (x, y)

x,y are in data coordinate. I'm not sure if there is any side effect,
but it seems that the format_coord method is only used to display the
coordinate in the toolbar.

> Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I use event handling with the
> 'motion_notify_event' event? If so, how do I make sure that the formatter
> doesn't still get called, and where is the string object that I should
> update?

Take a look at the NavigationToolbar2 class in backend_bases.py.
If you go down this road, you may need to modify mouse_move method to
prevent it displaying the coordinate. You may use set_message method
to display the coordinate.

But I personally think overriding format_coord method is good enough.

Regards,

-JJ