I spent some time trying to cobble one together but it was taking too much
time so I tried the following and it seems to work now:

Instead of using a thick line2D and adding it to the drawing, I added a
patches.Rectangle instead.  The line2D works in 0.88.5 but not in 0.99.  The
newer version was tripping over the Artist.contains() function call when
used with line2D.