Thanks Eric and also Ryan,

interpolation='nearest' worked. Maybe if the correct person is
listening, this could be highlighted in the imshow documentation since
the default of interpolation=none is not doing 'nothing' IMHO.

Also, I have looked
> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/contour_image.html

This highlights the various issues nicely. I noticed that the contourf
example has white space at the top.

Also, the use of arange(-3.0, 4.001, delta) implies some subtle
work around may be needed.

thanks