On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Werner F. Bruhin <werner.bru...@free.fr> wrote:
> John Hunter wrote:
>>
>> We want a complete, free standing example that exposes the bug, with any
>> additional info like mpl backend and version number.

Thanks -- when posting a bug, please consider taking the time to make
a *minimal* example.  Ie, there is a lot of wx cruft in the example,
as well as a lot of stuff that is created but not used (various
tickers, locators and datetime instances).  We have to then filter
this down to the core bug to see if it is real.  In this case it is.
But we get 1000 emails a month in addition to having to work on normal
mpl releases and development so we can use all the help we can get.

Here is my version of a minimal example, tested and failing on the
release branch and svn HEAD.  I've filed a bug report at
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2861426&group_id=80706&atid=560720
and committed a unit test with a knownfailure decorator

    import matplotlib.dates as dates

    fig = plt.figure()
    ax = fig.add_subplot(111)

    yearFmt = dates.DateFormatter('%Y')
    ax.xaxis.set_major_formatter(yearFmt)

    fig.savefig('empty_date_bug')

That much more clearly shows where the problem is, doesn't require a
developer to have an optionaol backend installed, etc.

Thanks for the report and the test case.

JDH