On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Jae-Joon Lee <lee.j.j...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Gökhan Sever <gokhanse...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > To run the code, you have to get nasafile.py and add this into your
> > PYTHONPATH, later get dccn_plot.py and
> > 09_03_26_11_36_15.dmtccnc.combined.raw file. nasafile.py has the NasaFile
> > class to read this ascii file.
> >
> > run as ./dccn_plot.py 09_03_26_11_36_15.dmtccnc.combined.raw
> >

> Please note that your entire application is hardly a "small, complete
> example".
> While I did download your code from the svn  and ran it, but
> understand that it makes the job difficult and reduces your chance of
> getting help from the developers (or other users).

I know it is getting complex even for myself. Lots of data source and trying
to make a general reading routine is somewhat lowering the readability. You
should have seen this same code without classes in action. That NasaFile
class has helped me alot actually, but the extra functionality also adds
lots of lines of code there, too. Thinking of moving this to a GUI.
Nevertheless for the time being I am talking in a more speculative way.

> > I have changed the code as you suggested. Here is the result:
> > http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/1075/newsso.png
> >
> > Two things I notice, right y-axis label is gone, and latter the top
> x-axis
> > nicely added there but it a replicate of bottom x-axis. Doing this:
>
> For the diappearing label,
> unfortunately, the axes_grid toolkits has slightly different behavior
> from mainline mpl.
>

> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/mpl_toolkits/axes_grid/users/overview.html#id5
>

> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/mpl_toolkits/axes_grid/users/axislines.html
>
> Adding
>
> pary.axis["right"].label.set_visible(True)
>
> in your code will work.

Thanks, this worked.

> At second thought, this might be a bug in the axes_grid toolkit.
>
> For your second point.
> There is a reason that I used a factor 3600 in my first example.
>
> aux_trans = mtransforms.Affine2D().scale(3600., y_max) # transform
> from ax2 to ax1

Added this line to the code:

aux_trans = mtransforms.Affine2D().translate(0., 0.).\
            scale(3600, dccn.data['dccnConSTP'].max())

See how the output looks like :
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5056/newss2.png

As you might see, the pary plotting disappears, when I use this scaling
which seemingly correct scaling for my case. It remedies the top axis
properly. They are correct equivalences of second-from-midnight
representation of time, i.e 45000 --> 12:30:00 (12.5)

When I play a little bit more in IPython (Still experiment, not in a
production stage :)) when the figure is up:

pary.xaxis.set_major_formatter(DateFormatter('%H:%M:%S'))

Then it turns wrong: http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4707/newss3.png
Either my understanding, or somethings internally in formatting code.

So close, these things are not easy to figure out. And to me these are
beyond advanced matplotlib functionality. I will put a more simplified
sample code once I figure out this.

Thank you again.

--
Gökhan