Jae-Joon Lee wrote:
> As one of who never used Sage, I don't think I'll be any help here.
> Anyhow, can you tell us what kind of backed is used by default in the
> two environment? I mean the type of the canvas that is initially
> created.

Thanks for following up on this.  Is there an easy way to ask matplotlib
what its default canvas is (i.e., what canvas pyplot will use for
savefig)?  I believe it's probably using the FigureCanvasAgg canvas, but
I'm not sure.  Since I've reproduced the problem with pure matplotlib
code, I'm not sure where the canvas is set up and initialized.

> It seems to be some dpi issue, but MPL supposed to handle this correctly.
> I guess it also works fine if the figure is initially created with the
> matching dpi as the savefig (72),?

I'm not sure what you're asking here or how to test your assumption.  I
posted the code that gave the problem in a Sage session, but worked fine
in a normal python session.  I also saw the problem (cut-off bottom in
firefox, which looked like a transparent bottom portion of the figure in
gimp) with varying amounts when I specified other dpi values.  Is there
something I can insert into my script to test what you're asking?

Again, I'm really puzzled by this.  We are using just pure matplotlib,
and yet, there seems to be something in the Sage configuration or
environment or something that is causing pure matplotlib code to
generate these erroneous figures, but the exact same installation of
matplotlib, when run under python, generates perfectly fine figures.

Thanks,

Jason