On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Renato Alves <rjal...@igc.gulbenkian.pt>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been using matplotlib for a while but mostly using the pyplot
> functions and going as far as changing their initial input parameters.
>
> Now I need to make a boxplot and include names on the X axis as opposed
> to the default numbers.
>
> I've searched extensively on the docs and using google but I reached a
> dead end. So, could someone point me in the direction of how can I
> change the plot to use names instead of numbers on the x axis (vertical
> boxplot) or y axis (horizontal boxplot)?
>
> Thanks,
> Renato

In Ipython -pylab

I[1]: a = np.random.rand(10)
I[3]: b = np.random.rand(10)
I[4]: boxplot([a,b], positions=[1,2])
I[5]: locs, labels = xticks([1,2], ['a', 'b'])

#for fine-tuning

setp(labels, 'rotation', 'horizontal')
xticklabels = getp(gca(), 'xticklabels')
yticklabels = getp(gca(), 'yticklabels')
setp(xticklabels, fontsize=14, weight='bold')
setp(yticklabels, fontsize=14, weight='bold')

Cheers :)

--
Gökhan