Hello,

I've encountered two bugs recently in matplotlib. I am hoping someone
can tell me if these are known issues and if any workarounds have been
proposed. The bug occurs for horizontal bar chart where the x-axis has
a log scale:

from pylab import *

val = 3+10*rand(5)     # the bar lengths
pos = arange(5)+.5    # the bar centers on the y axis

axes = subplot(111)
axes.barh(pos,val, align='center')
axes.set_xscale('log')

for a in axes.yaxis.majorTicks:
  a.tick1On=False
  a.tick2On=False

for a in axes.xaxis.majorTicks:
  a.tick1On=True
  a.tick2On=False

for loc, spine in axes.spines.iteritems():
  if loc in ['left','right','top']:
      spine.set_color('none')

show()

If you run this code, you will see that only the end caps of the
horizontal bars are drawn. Furthermore, tick marks appear at the top
of the plot (despite explicitly turning them off). If a linear scale
is used the plot is generated as expected. The issue with tick marks
appearing incorrectly with log axes appears to occur with many types
of graphs (well, at least the three I tried).

Can anyone suggest how I might plot a bar chart with a log scale? Is
there any other way I might force the tick marks at the top to not be
drawn?

Thanks for any and all help.

Cheers,
Donovan