Jose Gómez-Dans-2 wrote:

> Really, it's what you want to do with your MODIS data. My "workflow" is
> usually as follows:
> 1.- Access MODIS data (and ancillary stuff, such as QA flags etc) using
> Python's GDAL bindings.
> 2.- Manipulate the MODIS data from (1) using numpy, scipy. If there's
> significant looping involved, use weave to speed things up.
> 3.- Plot using matplotlib. Usually, as imshow ("vanilla matplotlib"),
> sometimes using basemap. The difference is whether I'm just quickly
> plotting
> something together, or whether I want to actually have a map where I want
> plot other stuff on top of the MODIS data.
>

> Your particular example is plotting RGB composites derived from Level 1
> data, it seems? As I said, if you tell us what you want to do with it, we
> may be able to provide more information.
>
> Cheers,
> Jose

Thanks Jose and Vincent for the quick replies. I'll have to read up on the
gdal bindings it seems.

What I want to do is quite simple (I think). I simply would like to be able
to:

1) Download any resolution of the hdf files available via :
http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/2009XXX/  where XXX is day of
year.

2) Import the hdf into python, access the data (reproject if necessary).
Yes, it's the merged RGB level 1 data I want to ultimately plot.

2b) produce geotiffs for use elsewhere

3) Plot the data in basemap, plot some other data (my own, xy tracks,
points, etc) over the data.

4) Save png files

I'll have a look at your notes now.

-john