Hello,

> There are multiple versions still existing on my computer.  How can I
> clean up and install the latest version?  Thank you all so much
You need to check the different paths accessed by Python.
 >>> import sys
 >>> print sys.path
and remove the possible matplotib files in these paths. Typically,
this includes /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages, /usr/local/lib/..., /
opt/lib/..., /sw/lib/... (on mac)

Then, download the .tar.gz file from matplotlib website, uncompress
and in the folder run
$ python setup.py build

That command will check dependencies before building, indicating what
is needed.

If some dependencies are not met, I suggest to use a package manager
to install them. I use Fink on OS 10.4.11 with no problem, but I am
still at Python 2.5 running matplotlib 1.0.svn .

Pierre