On 2009-11-09 11:46 AM, Chloe Lewis wrote:
> ... and for dessert, is there a circular colormap that would work for
> the colorblind?

Almost certainly not, at least not without compromising other desirable
features
for circular colormaps. You could do a circle roughly perpendicular to the
lines
of confusion, but this would mean going up and down in lightness, which
perceptually overemphasizes the light half.

On the other hand, this may not be a bad thing if 0 degrees and/or 180 degrees
are special as might be the case with phase measurements and other complex
number-related things.

> My department is practicing presenting-science-for-the-general-public,
> and the problems 'heat maps' have for the colorblind keep coming up.

As a deuteronopic, I heartily thank you for paying attention to these issues.

I've written an application to visualize colormaps in 3D perceptual space as
well as simulating colorblindness. It uses Mayavi and Chaco, so you will need a
full Enthought Tool Suite installation:

http://www.enthought.com/~rkern/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi/colormap_explorer/

Of interest for this thread might be the function find_chroma() in hcl_opt.py
which will, given a lightness value in HCL space, find the largest chroma value
(roughly similar to saturation) such that a circle at the given lightness value
will just fit inside of the RGB gamut. A simple maximization on that function
will find the lightness that gives the largest chroma and hence the largest
dynamic range of such a colormap. However, it should be noted that I have found
such colormaps to appear a little washed out and drab. But then, I'm colorblind.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco