Phillip M. Feldman wrote:
> Jeff Whitaker wrote:
>> Dr. Phillip M. Feldman wrote:
>>> The basemap demo `cubed_sphere.py` contains the following line of code:
>>>
>>>    fig.subplots_adjust(bottom=0, left=0, right=1, top=0, wspace=0,
>>> hspace=0)

>>> remove all
>>> horizontal space between the subplots.  But, this isn't what
>>> happens.  (I
>>> tried to insert an image, but this feature of Nabble appears to be
>>> broken).
>>>
>> Phillip:  Do you see any white space between the unfolded faces of
>> the cube on the cubed_sphere plot?  If not, then that command is
>> working as expected.
>>
>> -Jeff
> Jeff:
>
> (I posted this same message via Nabble, but it doesn't seem to be
> getting through).
>
> I have some further information: I just tried it again, and realized
> that if I use the original figure size and don't maximize the figure
> window, there are no white spaces. I don't see the white spaces unless
> I maximize the figure window. Maximizing the figure window should
> change the overall size of the image, but everything should scale
> together, so this is definitely a bug.
>
> Phillip
Philip:  It's not really a bug - but a "feature" of this particular
example.  For the white space to disappear, the figure must have exactly
the same aspect ratio as the map projection.  It's set that way in the
example, but if you change but maximizing the window Basemap tries to
maintain the aspect ratio of the map and leaves some whitespace.  To get
rid of the whitespace, at the expensive of messing up the aspect ratio
of the map when you resize, set fix_aspect=True when initializing the
basemap instance (for basemap >= 0.99.4).

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449