Hi,
I'm not sure this is entirely on-topic as it relates to the matplotlib
sphinx extension. I hope it's still acceptable!

I am writing some documentation using sphinx, and I would  like to refer
plots that are rendered from an external python script. I can do the plot
and it gets imported fine just by issuing

.. plot:: ../samples/MyPythonPlot.py

I would like to have a cross reference to it and a caption. If I were to
select a normal figure, I could do this just by (see <
http://sphinx.pocoo.org/markup/inline.html#cross-referencing-arbitrary-locations
>)

.. _my-figure:

.. figure:: whatever

   Figure caption

But how can I do this with a matplotlib plot rather than a png file?

Thanks!