Thanks for the pointers, Bill.

I tried installing from source as you suggested, but I am getting the
same errors when I try to plot.  What backend are you using?

Here is what I get when I try using TkAgg:

casa98-125-dhcp:.matplotlib lisa$ python simple_plot.py --verbose-
helpful
$HOME=/Users/lisa
matplotlib data path /Users/lisa/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/
matplotlib/mpl-data
loaded rc file /Users/lisa/.matplotlib/matplotlibrc
matplotlib version 0.99.1.1
verbose.level helpful
interactive is True
units is False
platform is darwin
CONFIGDIR=/Users/lisa/.matplotlib
Using fontManager instance from /Users/lisa/.matplotlib/fontList.cache
backend TkAgg version 8.5
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "simple_plot.py", line 2, in <module>
     plot([1,2,3])
   File "/Users/lisa/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/
pyplot.py", line 2134, in plot
     ax = gca()
   File "/Users/lisa/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/
pyplot.py", line 582, in gca
     ax =  gcf().gca(**kwargs)
   File "/Users/lisa/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/
pyplot.py", line 276, in gcf
     return figure()
   File "/Users/lisa/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/
pyplot.py", line 254, in figure
     **kwargs)
   File "/Users/lisa/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/
backends/backend_tkagg.py", line 91, in new_figure_manager
     canvas = FigureCanvasTkAgg(figure, master=window)
   File "/Users/lisa/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/
backends/backend_tkagg.py", line 158, in __init__
     master=self._tkcanvas, width=w, height=h)
   File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 3284, in __init__
     Image.__init__(self, 'photo', name, cnf, master, **kw)
   File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 3240, in __init__
     self.tk.call(('image', 'create', imgtype, name,) + options)
_tkinter.TclError: integer value too large to represent

Lisa