On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 3:53 PM, per freem <perfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i want it to eliminate the second
> subplot of the first row and instead make the first subplot on the
> first row take up two plots worth of space,

Matpltlib's subplot does not support it as of now.

There a few work around you may try, but it will at least take a few
tens of lines of code. Attached is a way to do this by patching the
object method, which I personally do not prefer but may be one of the
easiest for normal users.

Also, there is a patch I once worked on, but haven't pushed into the
svn yet (i'm not sure if I ever will). So give it a try if you want.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.matplotlib.general/19097

Regards,

-JJ

import matplotlib.transforms as mtransforms

def expand_subplot(ax, num2):
    update_params_orig = ax.update_params

    ax._num2 = num2 - 1
    def _f(self=ax):
        num_orig = self._num

        self._num = self._num2
        update_params_orig()
        right, top = self.figbox.extents[2:]

        self._num = num_orig
        update_params_orig()
        left, bottom = self.figbox.extents[:2]

        self.figbox = mtransforms.Bbox.from_extents(left, bottom,
                                                    right, top)

    ax.update_params = _f
    ax.update_params()
    ax.set_position(ax.figbox)