per freem wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i am a *huge fan* of matplotlib and use it for all plotting. one
> feature that i would find extremely useful that i believe is missing
> (but am very open to being corrected in case i overlooked something)
> is a way to define the layout of complex subplots. by this i mean
> something like R's "layout" command, which allows you to nearly
> arbitrarily arrange the subplots of a figure. this command is much
> more general than "subplot" since it does not restrict you to square
> arrangements of figure subplots.
>
> for examples, check out these figures/examples:
>
> 1. source code of complex layout:
> http://rgraphics.limnology.wisc.edu/rmargins_layout.php
>     (the associated graph it produces is here:
> http://rgraphics.limnology.wisc.edu/images/layouts/rmargins_layout_thumb.png)
>
> 2. a tutorial on complex layouts with this command:
> http://www.statmethods.net/advgraphs/layout.html
>     in particular, see:
> http://www.statmethods.net/advgraphs/images/layout3a.png where a
> complex layout which is currently not possible with "subplot" is made.
>
> a command like R's layout would be a tremendously helpful addition to
> matplotlib, in my opinion. it will prevent the need for annoying
> manual "postprocessing" of figures into these layouts using tools like
> Illustrator, since these figures could be generated programmatically
> instead, which much more precision.
>
> as far as i know, this cannot be done in matplotlib right now, without
> plotting your own axes (using some combination of axes grid toolkit
> and raw axes plotting.)
>
> if anyone out there has written some kind of wrappers that do
> something like the "layout" command, i would love to know about it. if
> it's still in testing and not part of the current matplotlib, i'd be
> more than happy to beta test this for anyone and try it on many
> examples.

Hi Per,

I wrote two things that may be of interest to you.

This first is mplsizer, based on the wx layout model, and works "live"
(with a figure open in a GUI) as well as for saving to disk. See the
demo directory for, well, some demos. I haven't been using this too much
lately, but it still works as well as it ever did AFAIK. There is a
trivial bit of documentation and a copy of the source at
http://github.com/astraw/mplsizer

The second is svg_stack. This is used as a post-processing step that
requires saving my figures as svg files and then composing them with
this tool. There is some minimal documentation and the source at
http://github.com/astraw/svg_stack . The nice thing with svg_stack is
that you can use svg files from other sources (i.e. not just
matplotlib). Also, everything can be manually adjusted in Inkscape,
which itself has nice command-line export to .png and .pdf capabilities.

-Andrew