Thank you very much. That was very helpful.
The only thing now is that I have a set of quiver subplots (in a sparate
figure) that I want to keep aligned to the contour subplots. After adding a
horizontal colorbar at the bottom of the contour figure in a way similar to
the example, I lose the alignment with the quiver plots. The easiest way I
could think of to keep the alignment is to add transparent dummy axes
identical in size to the ones I add to the contour figure. The only thing is
that I don't know how to make everything in the axes transparent. I tried
fiddling with set_alpha(), but I couldn't get it done. Any pointers?

Cheers,
Sharaf