Hi

I would like to have a bar plot twice as heigh as it is wide. It seems
though that setting the aspect ratio is nontrivial. I tried this:

   w, h = fig.figaspect (2.0)
   plt.figure().set_figheight (h)
   plt.figure().set_figwidth (w)

but then axis labels or even numbering gets cut off. On the other hand
playing with:

plt.axes().set_aspect (2.0)

does amazingly strange things. The explanation about what the number
in the set_aspect function should be is quite vogue in the
documentation. Hence my questions:

How to specify the aspect ratio of a figure (in my case containing
some bar plots) so that all remaining things (like axis labels) are
respected in the final result?

Regards
Tomek