On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 2:32 AM, rcnelson <rnelsonc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Are there any plans or would it make sense to add another keyword to the
> pyplot.arrow function that allows you to choose the arrow class you would
> like to use? The default could be FancyArrow so that the original usage of
> pyplot.arrow will not be affected. The axes.arrow function - which it looks
> like it gets called by the pyplot.arrow function - could then convert the
> input arguments into the form necessary for the class you choose.

I recommend you to use "annotate" (see below). Because most of these
things are already addressed by "annotate", I don't see any immediate
need to enhance "arrow". But maybe it would be a good idea to mention
about "annotate" in the "arrow" documentation and vice versa.

> 2) Or... Is there a simple way that you can call the arrow function with
> start and end points in data coordinates, but have the arrow parameters
> calculated in normalized figure coordinates? I think FancyArrow calculates
> the head and body points using a line perpendicular to the line of the arrow
> in data coordinates, which I think is the source of my problem (? -- at
> least that is what I found doing some test calculations on my own). However,
> if I call the pyplot.arrow function with the following keywords,
> 'trasform=fig.transFigure, figure=fig' (as per the Artist tutorial, see
> below), then the arrow looks okay, but it needs to be positioned in
> normalized figure coordinates and it does not move when you zoom or
> translate the plot.

I guess you can just use "annotate" (with empty string) for your
purpose. See the the example below.

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/annotations_guide.html#annotating-with-arrow

Let me know if it does not fits your need.

Regards,

-JJ