Hi, folks!  I'm again encountering the problem - imshow generating a
MemoryError exception trying to image a very large array - discussed in this
thread I started almost a year and a half ago.

Question 1) has anything changed in MPL in that time interval which would
provide an "easy" solution?

Question 2) is there some way I can add pieces of the array incrementally to
the image into their proper place, i.e., modify the following code:

    ax.imshow(image[0:ny/2+1, 0:nx/2+1]) # upper left corner of image
    ax.hold(True)
    ax.imshow(argW[ny/2+1:-1, 0:nx/2+1]) # lower left corner of image
    ax.imshow(argW[0:ny/2+1, nx/2+1:-1]) # upper right corner of image
    ax.imshow(argW[ny/2+1:-1, nx/2+1:-1]) # lower right corner of image

so that each subsequent imshow doesn't cover up the previous imshow and is
placed in the right place relative to each of the other pieces?

Question 3) Would such incremental addition work to get around the memory
limit, or does the fact (if the following statement is in fact correct) that
eventually the entire too-large image needs to be handled doom this strategy
to failure?

Question 4) would I have this problem if I was running 64 bit (i.e., OS, as
well as 64 bit builds of Python, numpy, MPL, etc.), i.e., is it most likely
a memory addressing problem?

Question 5) can anyone suggest any other work-around(s)?

Thanks!

DG