On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Matthew MacLeod
<macl...@eefus.colorado.edu>wrote:

> Dear matplolib users,
>

> I am wondering if anyone knows how to increase the tick thickness, that is
> the tick linewidth? Mine are too thin.
>
> Thanks Goekhan and JJ for the help previously on how to increase the tick
> size, to fix the
>
> xtick.major.size
>
> in the matplotlib rc. That did make my ticks longer, but I still don't
> know how to make them 'fatter'.
>

> Thanks,
> Matthew

Hi Matthew,

JJ's suggestion should work to make the ticks bolder:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/artists.html#axis-containers (See
the lines at the very bottom)

In your code you should

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

plt.plot(range(10)

ax = plt.gca() #for each axis or whichever axis you want you should

for line in ax.xaxis.get_ticklines():
      line.set_markeredgewidth(3)

This makes the x-ticks substantially visible.

--
Gökhan