On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Andre Walker-Loud <walksl...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to understand exactly what the -pylab option does when I
> launch ipython -pylab - thought some folks here might know.
>
> For example, after executing
>
> ipython -pylab
>
> I can type either
>
> a = np.array([1.,10.])
>
> OR
>
> b = array([1.,10.])
>
> are these both numpy arrays?  And clearly, there has been an "import
> numpy as np" from the -pylab option.
>
> Also, how is scipy imported?  Just "form scipy import *" or something
> similar to numpy?
>
> I haven't been able to find this info online or in documents yet.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andre

Hi,

Look in IPython/Shell.py to see how pylab option is being evaluated. And
similarly in matplotlib/lib/matplotlib/pylab.py

Also in your ipythonrc file you can unset pylab_import_all option to have a
clearer namespace (i.e. the contents of pylab.py will not be explicitly
loaded.)

And yes those are the same NumPy arrays. You can always check this by "type"
builtin.

--
Gökhan