John Hunter wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Tornes, Ivan E <torn...@battelle.org> wrote:
>> I’m working on a project that handles large data sets.  Up to this point I
>> had not had any issues using matplotlib, but I tried yesterday to have it
>> plot a file that had 8 million float,float pairs in it and dies with the
>> following message:
>
> There have been some enhancements in path simplification in svn, so
> you may want to try this but no guarantees this will help
>
>   http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq/installing_faq.html#install-from-svn
>
> Alternatively, you could use something like the "clippedline" example.
>  The basic idea is that most screen devices have order of a couple
> million pixels, so there is no way to resolve more points than that.
> But you may want to be able to zoom into a certain region will full
> detail, which is not possible if you decimate your data before hand.
> What the clippedline demo does is just pass the points that are in the
> current viewport to mpl.
>
>   http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/clippedline.html

John,

This example is mostly obsolete--the clipping procedure is built-in.
(The value added by the example is the change in marker style.)

Path simplification does a more thorough and general job of clipping.
The reason for having the pre-clipping in the special but common case of
monotonic x is that it can take advantage of a binary search, which is
faster than the path-simplification's linear search for large datasets.

Eric