Actually, it does not draw the polygon edges, but leaves small gaps
between them. Through those gaps you can see the background. (This also
happens with polar plots and other polygons by the way.) I consider this
a bug, though there are ways around it. For contour plots one can plot
two contourplots over each other, one with different levels (or a
different number of levels) than the other. Messy, but it works.

Marius.