2010/3/24 Jonno <jonnojohn...@gmail.com>:
> Well I realized my error with the extra window being caused by the
> TopLevel() command. I switched this to Tk.Tk() and it works nicely.
> However I still have to pack the frame instead of using grid. I can
> work around this but I wonder if there isn't something else I'm
> missing.

If I'm not completely mistaken you can .grid() your Frame as well, but
you might have to .columnconfigure() and/or .rowconfigure() the Tk
instance with argument weight = 1 or something integer positive, to
make the row containing the plot not collapse to zero?

The main problem is, that the NavigationToolbar2TkAgg actually in
matplotlib.backends.backend_tkagg.py:681 calls self.pack(side =
Tkinter.BOTTOM, fill = Tk.X), where the toolbar is actually derived
from Tkinter.Frame.  This means, subclass and overload, or:

toolbar_frame = Tkinter.Frame(tl)
toolbar_frame.grid(column = 0, row = 1)

toolbar=NavigationToolbar2TkAgg(canvas, toolbar_frame)

Now I see why your script hangs, because when you try to pack() and
grid() widgets to the same master, Tk somehow hangs up without error
message, weird if you ask me.  But this I encounter often.

hth,
Friedrich