My simple way to solve the white-lines issue is simply to give the contourf
command twice:

contourf(x,y,z)
contourf(x,y,z)

The white lines are magically disappearing, also in png files.
This works well also with alpha<1

Tsviki Hirsh

> What version of mpl are you using?
My mpl version is 0.99.1

> Are you modifying the default anti-aliasing in the patch collections that
> contour is creating?
Could you please tell me how to this? I am very new to matplotlib, thank you
very much if you can give me some advices.

>Are you seeing the problem when using the ps and pdf backends, or only with
agg (that is, creating png files directly)?
So far I only creating png files directly. Also, how to use ps and pdf
backend?

> ....which has been fixed in svn.
Do you mean I should download another mpl by svn?

Thank you for your answers very much!