On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Darren Dale <dsdal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Gökhan Sever <gokhanse...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Could someone confirm me if there is any malfunctioning using these
> simple
> > figure functions?
> >
> > plt.figure(figsize=(2,3))
> >
> > plt.figure(figsize=(5,6))
> >
> > plt.figure(figsize=(9,15))
> >
> > plt.figure(figsize=(19,5))
> >
> > For some reason I can't get Qt4Agg creating last two figures in specified
> > sizes. (WXAgg works fine.)
> >
> > matplotlib.__version__
> > '1.0.svn'
> >
> > matplotlib.__revision__
> > '$Revision: 8226 $'
> >
> > from PyQt4 import QtCore
> > QtCore.PYQT_VERSION_STR
> > '4.7'
>
> I can reproduce this behavior with a pure pyqt4 example with no mpl
> code, see below. I asked for advice on the pyqt mailing list.
>
> import sys
> from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui
>
> class Test(QtGui.QWidget):
>
>   def __init__(self, width, height):
>       QtGui.QWidget.__init__(self)
>       #self.setSizePolicy(QtGui.QSizePolicy.Fixed, QtGui.QSizePolicy.Fixed)
>       print 'Central widget should have width=%d, height=%d' %(width,
> height)
>       self._width = width
>       self._height = height
>
>   def sizeHint(self):
>       return QtCore.QSize(self._width, self._height)
>
> app = QtGui.QApplication([])
> m = QtGui.QMainWindow()
> c = Test(1000, 700)
> m.setCentralWidget(c)
> m.show()
> s = c.size()
> print 'but central widget has width=%d, height=%d'% (s.width(), s.height())
> sys.exit(app.exec_())

Same here with your sample:

Central widget should have width=1000, height=700
but central widget has width=960, height=600

I resorted to WXAgg for the time being. Waiting for some updates till I hear
a resolution. The annoying part is when I created a plot using specified
width and height Qt4Agg doesn't follow these dimensions as in this case and
resulting savefig(file.pdf) produces wrongly sized file unless I manually
extend the figure area and re-issue a savefig afterwards.

--
Gökhan