I can not reproduce this with 32-bit Python 2.6.5, numpy 1.3.0,
matplotlib 0.99.1 and basemap 0.99.4 on Windows 7/C2Q. However, the
basemap 0.99.4 binary does not work with numpy 1.4.x. Depending on how
you installed Python you might also need to install the "Microsoft
Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package" separately. IIRC, geoslib was
compiled with SSE2 enabled and will fail to load on older CPUs (this
might cause the -1073741795 error). If you don't mind using developer
versions, updated installers of matplotlib and basemap, compiled against
numpy 1.4.1rc, are available at
<http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/>.

--
Christoph Gohlke