Hello,

I'm currently writing a specialized image processing package using
Matplotlib. The goal would be to let users use it interactively from an
ipython console.
So I have some functions for selecting points on plots (via
"button_press_event"), and others for data plotting (and also for data
processing, of course). When the user calls a plotting or a
point-selecting function, I have to call plt.show() at the end of it... but
then this seems to do something irreversible which cannot be cancelled
e.g. by plt.ioff(). But at the same time I can't stay in show() mode
forever, because if I did so, the program would fail when the user calls
another point-selecting function (as the call to the point-selecting
function becomes non-blocking, Python raises an error when the yet undefined
coordinates are read in a following part of the enclosing function). (For
the same reason, trying to use ipython -pylab leads to failure starting
from the *first* call to a point-selecting function (instead of the second
when using ipython).)
(And I can't use plt.ginput as I sometimes want to update the plot using
some home-made functions while the user selects data on it).
So I have to find a way of showing the plot(s) to the user, and still come
back to pre- plt.show() mode after (of course, if there was a way to show
the plots without calling plt.show(), that would work too)... I believe this
is a "classic" question, but I haven't found an answer to it. So does anyone
have an idea about it?

Thanks in advance,
Antony